Spring is upon us and summer is right around the corner! That means a whole new round up of fun fashion trends to try out. From vibrant neon to specific clothing pieces, this season is bursting with new ways to wear old favorites. Don’t let high-end trendy retailers fool you too far, these trends can be worn fairly inexpensively if you look in the right places. Here are some tips to save on the latest fashion trends and a few ways to wear them depending on how bold you’re feeling this season!
1. First up is tie dye. Although it was never completely gone, tie dye is in full force this season. Be careful when purchasing this trend as retailers have noted that tie dye is a big trend which means, they’ve severely overpriced their tie dye items. Take this crop top from Bloomingdale’s for example:
It’s easy to be tempted by trendy pieces, but $195 for a crop top seems a little much. You can easily find something similar at a thrift store or even by buying a plain shirt and a kit from a craft store to make yourself. To save on this trend, I recommend the DIY route or stopping by a thrift shop to see what you can find before running to your favorite retailer. To style tie dye in a more fashion forward way, go bold with bright colors in a matching two piece. On the flip side, to blend in a little more, the classic tie dye t-shirt is all you need, try tying it in the front with your favorite pair of denim shorts and you’re good to go!
2. Next we have utility pieces! This is one a personal favorite trend and can be done in so many ways. For a trendy take, boiler suits-long sleeve jumpsuits- are huge pieces right now BUT they can be pricey so if you’re looking for a cheaper option, try army green or khaki utility or cargo pants paired with any graphic top. Cargo pants have been around for a long time, so thrift is the way to go. If the older pairs flare too much at the bottom, roll them up to get more of the fitted ankle look that comes with the jogger style that is so popular.
3. Biker shorts, you love them or you hate them. This trend has popped up everywhere recently and people aren’t quite sure how to feel about it. Most people see it as a continuation of the athleisure trend and if you’re hesitant to try it, style it just like you would your favorite workout leggings. Or for a casual look, pair them with an oversized t-shirt and sneakers. To dress it up, wear a blazer cinched at the waist with a belt and some heels. Sounds strange I know, but it is seriously cute and almost a throwback to the 80’s. Although they may be hard to find in a thrift store, you can find them for as low as $3.00 online at places like Forever21 and Walmart. Biker shorts may be the most questionable trend, but they’re also the most affordable.
4. Now, if the biker shorts are a little too tight for your liking, you’ll be happy to know that looser fitting, more tailored looking shorts, that hit a few inches above the knee are a new spring and summer go-to as well. They’re practical and super comfortable with a pair of white tennis shoes and a simple button down shirt.
5. Neon.is.everywhere! After a long season of pastel colors last year, vibrant highlighter neon is back and bigger than ever. Hand-in-hand with the bright shades of tie dye, neon is a huge trend this season and is also extremely versatile. Neon was big in the 80s, 90s, and even early 2000s so hit up those thrift stores and see what pieces you can find from tshirts to skirts, you can wear it anyway you want. On the trendier side, opt for a two piece or matching set which are very popular right now, or go full out with a bright dress or bodysuit. If you’re really feeling bold, you can even MIX neon colors! But if you want a subtle hint of neon, add a pop of any color (pink is the most tame) to neutral colors to balance it out, or if neon clothing in general is a little intimidating, try a scrunchie or other small accessory like a purse.
6. Last but not least, beige and other neutrals are big for spring and summer. I know- seems crazy when neon and tie dye are also in trend but believe it or not head to toe neutrals, specifically the color beige are another big trend this season. Apparently, the hashtag #beigeaesthetic has over 40,000 posts on Instagram thanks to Riccardo Tisci putting it out all over the runway this year. And even better, it overlaps my favorite trend: utility boiler suits! You can knock both trends out of the park with a full piece utility jumpsuit in beige, styled up with heels or down with sneakers or sandals. Check out online retailer Shein for jumpsuits under $30, or ShopStyle to compare retail prices. If all out beige isn’t your thing, white is a great neutral to be paired with beige. Try some white jeans with a beige top for going out or to wear it at the office, a beige blazer is a great piece. What’s nice about this trend, you can wear it all year round and to lots of different occasions, which makes it a good investment.
And there you have it, some of the latest spring and summer trends of 2019 along with some tips to help you be fashion forward and frugal at the same time. Who doesn’t love the best of both worlds? Trends, just like seasons, come and go so choose the items you want to splurge on carefully and make sure you’ll be able to wear them past this year, because who knows how long neon will stick around for again! Now go out there and shop smart.
This is Consumer $ense, where we make sense for you!